E-Learning modules for InternsInterns are introduced to E-Learning modules to identify and manage the most common serious scenarios on the ward (shock and hypotension, hypertension, oliguria, dyspnea, lower extremity pain and swelling, and abdominal pain).
ABSITE Written board preparationResidents prepare for the ABSITE by using the SCORE curriculum and an online test question bank, purchased for each resident by the Department.
Oral board preparationMock oral boards are administered annually to PGY-2 through PGY-5 residents proctored by faculty, who also serve as American Board of Surgery oral board examiners.
- Newly renovated (2015) state of the art haptic simulation lab
- 5 FLS exam box trainers
- 2 haptic feedback laparoscopic simulators
- Endoscopic and bronchoscopic simulator
- DaVinci robotic simulator
- Endovascular simulator
- Additional FLS box trainers available in the General Surgery Resident's Library at the YNHH York Street Campus
- Additional FLS box trainers available in the simulation lab at YNHH Chapel Street Campus
- Central line placement credentialing is performed each year during intern orientation
- Yale Center for Medical Simulation
- Simulation center used by each Section for surgical simulation exercises pertaining to the specialty (ie. Surgical Oncology, Trauma, Vascular Surgery, ect.)
- Monthly trauma simulation scenarios at the Bridgeport Hospital campus are conducted using the state of the art simulation mannequin
A $2,000 annual travel/conference reimbursement fund is available for residents who are presenting their research at regional and national conferences.
Yale School of Medicine Medical Library provides assistance with literature searches, bibliography preparation, as well as workshops on topics from grant writing to statistics. Online access is available to most surgical textbooks and most medical journals.
There is dedicated study space is available at the hospital within General Surgery Resident’s Library.